AmberHelios

AmberHelios

Steak and Bakes Love Bug

• Musty Heroes
  • 3392 posts

• LocationLover's Lane With Steakums

Steam Profile

What Steam Box  Isn't ...

A steam box is a long, sealed container used to steam wooden planks for the purpose of making them pliable. Once steamed and then fastened or clamped into the desired position and left to dry, the wood will hold the new shape. Steam boxes allow for much more efficient use of wood. Instead of cutting the desired shape away from a large and more expensive piece of wood and leaving much scrap to be discarded, steam boxes allow for a smaller piece to be bent in the general shape and leaving much less scrap. Steam boxes also allow the wood to bend beyond its dry breaking point, which is useful in making extreme curves with the wood. In many cases, the bent piece is stronger than an identical piece cut from larger stock. Steam bending wood allows the wood grain to follow the bend, leaving it strong where a piece cut from larger stock would snap across crosscut grains or laminated joints.

The largest steam boxes are used in boat building to bend the large planks for the frame and hull. However, smaller ones are used in making a variety of consumer items, such as rocking chairs, musical instruments and walking canes.

What Steam Box Is ...

Steam Box is a Linux-based game console that is being constructed by Valve, the developers of Steam, and Xi3. Computer manufacturer, Xi3, takes the role of designing the hardware of the Steam Box. The Steam Box will incorporate the Steam software in order to create a new console. Steam serves as a marketplace for games produced by Valve and other game developers. This console is rumored that it will dominate in the competition between the other video game consoles and high-end computers because the Steam Box will be affordable, open sourced, allow for cross-platform gaming, and surpass the hardware component of most high-end computers.

GPU: Some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
CPU: Some boxes with Intel i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB GDDR5 (GPU)
Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
Power supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 inches high

• Steak and Potatoes, FlamingDefibs, Prime and 1 other are drunk enough to care

48G6lJ0.png

What Can I Say I love Steak and Potatoes

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• Musty Server Musterator
  • 3544 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

If you're using the same components as a high end PC, how will it be cheaper than a high end PC? That's what I'm curious about.

Also, if it's from Steam, will that eliminate the ability to have Origin, etc on it? If it's meant to be Steam, you'd think they wouldn't allow you to use anything that's a direct competitor of Steam. If that's the case, wouldn't you be better off just building a media PC to game on, where you could access Steam, Origin, or anything else you want?

BsVHjOO.png

AmberHelios

AmberHelios

Steak and Bakes Love Bug

• Musty Heroes
  • 3392 posts

• LocationLover's Lane With Steakums

Steam Profile

Steam Box is a Linux-based game console

Steam

48G6lJ0.png

What Can I Say I love Steak and Potatoes

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• Musty Server Musterator
  • 3544 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

What's the difference between a game console and a PC? Basically the same components, except you hook one up to a TV and one up to a monitor (generally speaking). So maybe you save some cash by using Linux instead of Windows? Still seems the same overall.

BsVHjOO.png

Diddums

Diddums

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 144 posts

A PC makes you an intelligent, chin-stroking, thought provoking, chisel jawed contributor towards high society. 

A console makes you a peasant.

• Statik, tommy290 and Prime are drunk enough to care

baker

baker

I wub amber

• Admustystrator
  • 1412 posts

• LocationNorth of all of you, even chef.

Steam Profile

Linux gives me wood

• Anti___ is drunk enough to care
Spoiler

I had this dream where I relished the fray
And the screaming filled my head all day
It was as though I'd been spit here
Settled in, into the pocket
Of a lighthouse on some rocky socket
Off the coast of France, dear
One afternoon four thousand men died in the water here
And five hundred more were thrashing madly
As parasites might in your blood
Now I was in a lifeboat designed for ten and ten only
Anything that systematic would get you hated
It's not a deal nor a test nor a love of something fated

Anti___

Anti___

You Are Here

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationSwamp

Linux gives me wood

Steam bends it.

Zombie

Zombie

That Zombie has a Gun?!

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, WA

Linux gives me wood

Steam bends it.

Gangrene.

• Anti___ is drunk enough to care

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Bloodtrozorx: If HR is already on to you just make it your desktop background. Fight the power with Boner Soup.[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Derpy: it's been up and down like a New Jersey Pole Dancer all day[/font]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Valve, Steam, SteamOS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users