13 replies to this topic

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• Musty Server Musterator
  • 3543 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

Seems that quite a few people around here are quite adept at web design, programming, etc.

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with Joomla or phpBB?

I've had a project in the works for a couple years now, but it's stagnant cause I just don't know what I'm doing and I'm finding it a pain to even know where to start. If anyone might be interested in giving me some guidance, feel free to post/PM me.

• skykarmelitafig and MarekkBep are drunk enough to care

BsVHjOO.png

Diddums

Diddums

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 144 posts
What's it for? My site (forevergaming.co.uk) runs on myBB which is a jazzed up version of phpBB2. I'm not a genius with it, but if there's anything I can do to help, feel free to let me know.
  • Steak and Potatoes is drunk enough to care

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• 3543 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

Here's the story in a nutshell: I've always wanted to start a video game review website. I like video games, not really hardcore, but I think I have a pretty good perspective because I'm older, have a family, all that. I know there's tons of places that review video games, but I still think it would be fun to have a place where I could post reviews. However, I'd like it to be more than just a blog-style review. Thus, I need something more than just a Wordpress blog or something. So I started looking around, found a hosting company, installed Joomla as it seems to be better than Drupal. Actually tried Drupal first, but didn't like it. So now I've got Joomla and the native forum for it is Kunena. That's what I'm running now, but it sucks compared to forums like this. So I just started looking at the hosting company, and they allow phpBB, which looks to be more powerful.

Only problem is, you need a bridge between Joomla and phpBB to have a single login. There's a program that will do it, but I haven't used it and not exactly sure if I'll be able to get it to work. So now I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. I could buy the software, but I'll be a little miffed if I can't get it to work. I'm also not confident I'll be able to get the templates working, as I don't know CSS. From what I understand, if you use a bridge between phpBB and Joomla, the phpBB skin needs to be modified a bit to work.

All in all, I really wish I would've studied web development in college instead of criminal justice. It would serve me better at the moment.

BsVHjOO.png

Star

Star

"Nothing Is Beyond Our Reach" - Octopus

• Admustystrator
  • 1559 posts

Steam Profile

• Star - In Game
    Total War™: WARHAMMER®
    17 hrs last 2 weeks.
    Add Friend

I have only used PhpBB once, and it didn't go well for me :P
However basically the core idea of what your describing is what this place is/going to be :D
The Wordpress side http://mustygaming.com is where people can post videos, blogs and reviews once it is properly setup, then We are going to bridge the login and account details between both this forum system, and WordPress 

Check out http://www.avasdemon.com/for an amazing Visual Story

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• 3543 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

I have only used PhpBB once, and it didn't go well for me :P
However basically the core idea of what your describing is what this place is/going to be :D
The Wordpress side http://mustygaming.com is where people can post videos, blogs and reviews once it is properly setup, then We are going to bridge the login and account details between both this forum system, and WordPress 

You stole my idea! :P

So this place is based on Wordpress/IP Board huh? Interesting. IP Board is definitely slick, but I don't think I can get it through my hosting company. I know it costs $$$, so I assume it runs on their servers and don't know how I could get it on mine if it's not already an option.

Wordpress is basically a blogging software though, and I couldn't figure out how to do more with it. I would like a database-driven review system so that things can be organized and separated. For example, being able to list games by system. The only thing I could think of that Wordpress could do would be tags, but that doesn't seem robust enough.

I think I need to start learning the design aspect. CSS and whatnot. At least then I'd be able to make things pretty. Perhaps bridging the two isn't necessary, at least in the beginning.

BsVHjOO.png

Pannari

Pannari

osulord omg

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationPieksämäki, Finland

I've done a few forums with PhpBB before, hit up with me :)

Posted Image

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"][color=#00ccff;]Music + Games =[/color] [color=#ff0033;]Life - The Beginning[/color][/font]

BadLuckBurt

BadLuckBurt

Don't mind me, just here for the ponies

• Members
  • 517 posts
  • LocationVlaardingen, Netherlands

Tommy, IP-Board also gives you the option to host your forum in their cloud (which is basically a bunch of their servers running a crapload of forums). That way you don't have to host the forum on your own server.

http://www.invisionpower.com/pricing

Check out the top option, Community in the cloud, the price is dependent on the amount of simultaneous online users. This forum runs in the cloud as well in case you were wondering about performance.

I have to go eat now but I'll be back later for some more in-depth comments.

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• 3543 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

Seems like it would be cheaper just to get the license and have it installed on a server. Even the lowest plan is $120/yr as opposed to $175 for the license. 18 months in and the license pays for itself. Although, not sure how hard it is to keep the software up and running. I assume on their cloud, they make sure of that. I know my hosting company will keep the servers up, but don't know if they can help with software (especially if it's not something they install).

I'm liking Wordpress. It's definitely not what I thought it was. Very user-friendly (so far) and lots of plugins. Still not exactly sure how to do what I want, but it looks like Wordpress is the best starting point. I just have to decide whether to buy what I need (looking at Genesis framework and Dynamik template seeing as I don't know how to code), or not. Am I willing to invest the time to do everything? Man, it's a tough call. Just so much to learn.

EDIT: On top of learning the software, then I also need to learn how to do graphics and that stuff to make things look prettier. And video editing, so my vids are worth watching. It would be like another full time job! Crazy.

BsVHjOO.png

BadLuckBurt

BadLuckBurt

• Members
  • 517 posts

Seems like it would be cheaper just to get the license and have it installed on a server. Even the lowest plan is $120/yr as opposed to $175 for the license. 18 months in and the license pays for itself. Although, not sure how hard it is to keep the software up and running. I assume on their cloud, they make sure of that. I know my hosting company will keep the servers up, but don't know if they can help with software (especially if it's not something they install).

I'm still a greenhorn when it comes to IP-board but I'm sure you can run it for a long time on your own server if you maintain the system and the database. You would need experience with databases to do that though and if you want to customise your forum, that would include CSS and PHP.

Also, $175 gets you the bare-bones version. I'm not sure what extra parts this forum has but once you start adding things like IP.Content and stuff, the price goes up. I don't know exactly what you mean by 18 months in and the license pays for itself, making a website self-sufficient isn't that easy.

Your hosting company might be willing to help you out if you run into problems but they'll probably charge by the hour for it unless they're (very) nice people and depending on what you ask of them.

I'm liking Wordpress. It's definitely not what I thought it was. Very user-friendly (so far) and lots of plugins. Still not exactly sure how to do what I want, but it looks like Wordpress is the best starting point. I just have to decide whether to buy what I need (looking at Genesis framework and Dynamik template seeing as I don't know how to code), or not. Am I willing to invest the time to do everything? Man, it's a tough call. Just so much to learn.

EDIT: On top of learning the software, then I also need to learn how to do graphics and that stuff to make things look prettier. And video editing, so my vids are worth watching. It would be like another full time job! Crazy.

Wordpress has evolved quite a bit and turned out pretty good. I'm not familiar with it myself but the things I wanted to get done here on the portal got done with minimal effort which is always a good sign for me :)

I don't know if you'll really need a framework for Wordpress once you get to grips with how it works. I do not know how much free time you have on your hands ofcourse but if you think you have enough, my advice would be to at least learn the basics of PHP and try to set up a simple Wordpress site to see what works and what doesn't. Even if you fail, you will still learn alot.

When I just started out at my current job I was as green as could be and I had to build our CRM (Client Relation Management or whatever) all by myself. I made huge mistakes as I built it, especially naming the columns in the database tables but looking back, I learned so much. There's still code in there that will make me cringe when I see it but whenever I have some time I update what I can.

I can look around this weekend to see if I can find some tutorials if you'd like me to. I just wouldn't pay money for something when you don't have a complete picture of what it is you're getting into.

-edit

As for HTML and CSS, those are a lot easier to learn as they're basically markup languages that tell your browser how something is supposed to look and where it's supposed to be (add some magic here and there). I'll also look up some good sites for that if you're interested.

• AmberHelios is drunk enough to care

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• 3543 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

I just meant that paying by the month eventually costs more than buying a license outright (i.e. 18 months would be $180 vs $175 for the license). I wasn't referring to creating a website that makes me money.

If you know of resources, I'm game. It's a fun hobby. I probably need to focus on specific things first, and stop trying to do everything at once. I get sidetracked too easily. Kinda like with my gaming. I rarely finish games because I move on to the next one (usually when I'm on the last level!). :)

• BadLuckBurt is drunk enough to care

BsVHjOO.png

BadLuckBurt

BadLuckBurt

• Members
  • 517 posts

I just meant that paying by the month eventually costs more than buying a license outright (i.e. 18 months would be $180 vs $175 for the license). I wasn't referring to creating a website that makes me money.

If you know of resources, I'm game. It's a fun hobby. I probably need to focus on specific things first, and stop trying to do everything at once. I get sidetracked too easily. Kinda like with my gaming. I rarely finish games because I move on to the next one (usually when I'm on the last level!). :)

I see, it would be cheaper to run it yourself but that's more likely to work once you have a bit of experience.

There's enough free resources on the web to get you started, I'll round some up this weekend and post them in a special thread so anyone who's interested can find them easily.

• tommy290 is drunk enough to care

wooly-back-jack

wooly-back-jack

Wooly the Camper™

• 881 posts

• LocationWigan, England, UK

Steam Profile

wtf, the forum has recent posts!

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• 3543 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

Spam doesn't count. :P

• wooly-back-jack is drunk enough to care

BsVHjOO.png

Death Dealer

Death Dealer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

yikes, the last legitimate post was 2 months ago.

military-salute.jpg?1430404341

so long, and thanks for all the fish. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users