Photo

Kerbal Space Program (Sneaky Russian Space Command)

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

klesh

klesh

Dr. Venkman

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • LocationAssholeachusetts

Have a read of this story, y'all.

This is a guy using his brain to find an easter egg rumored to be orbiting a moon of an ingame planet.  There was word of it being real, and he set about finding out for himself.  Notice how he built his craft, and brought different sub-crafts to fulfill his needs.  Check out how he tracked this thing down and eventually made contact.  He got no Achievements, save for the satisfaction of having a vision and working out how to make it happen.  This is a glimpse of the magic you experience when you really get into the game.  This was done on a version of the game from 2013.

I am in awe of this dude's mission.  The chances of location something like this the way he did is so small, yet, wham-o.  This is Kerbal hardcore.

http://forum.kerbals...-heavy-SPOILERS

• IRkorpus, Rubberman and INSANIAC are drunk enough to care

Posted Image

IRkorpus

IRkorpus

Marcus The Merkin says "pass the fuckin rye already"

• Members
  • 764 posts
  • LocationMelburn or Melbin not Melborn! fucking foreigners...

Steam Profile

thats an awesome story. wish i had one that good. gee, i wish i could play KSP again

• klesh is drunk enough to care

Fate Amenable To Change

2vsm1ee.png

Vexilla regis prodeunt inferni

Wer Bier verschenkt wird aufgehängt

klesh

klesh

Dr. Venkman

• Members
  • 423 posts

SR-71! 

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=445613432

• Detoeni is drunk enough to care

Posted Image

klesh

klesh

Dr. Venkman

• Members
  • 423 posts

Saw this post on the KSP forums.  The guy is 53 years old:

It was like a switch was flipped to the "on" position. After 3 weeks of struggling with the unmodded game, everything suddenly seemed to flow like honey yesterday. It was wonderful! In one explosive day of can_do_no_wrong, all of the following suddenly happened:

For the first time, I got something from tier 6 unlocked.
For the first time, I got scientist Bob to circle Kerbin (solo).
For the first time, I not only landed on the Mun, but also made it home safely (talk about a science windfall, wow!).
For the first time, I designed and built a tanker.
For the first time, I got a tanker (with a full 1400 units of fuel, etc.) into orbit.
For the first time, I rescued a Kerbal from orbit. (never docked with anything outside of the tutorial before)
For the first time, I completed four contracts in one flight, where all 4 contracts required being in space. And then (same flight) I docked with my tanker and gave its second empty tank my spare fuel. (never did a fuel transfer before).

What a breakthrough day! I'm 53, and I don't recall feeling this way since I was 12 and was given a unicycle. For 3 weeks, I tried every_single_day to ride it, and never got farther than about 20 feet, so I finally put it away. 3 months later, I tried again, and on my first try went 50 feet, and on my second try I could ride the darned thing. The switch was suddenly flipped. Forty years later, this happens, where my progress in 1 day exceeds all progress from the last 3 weeks combined. The lights are on, baby! What an amazing game!

• IRkorpus and INSANIAC are drunk enough to care

Posted Image

klesh

klesh

Dr. Venkman

• Members
  • 423 posts

Here is some fun space stuff:

A comparison picture of the planets in KSP

PxbwIyZ.png

Then, check this out... this is a picture comparing real life star sizes.  Our sun is represented by a single pixel in this picture:

sun_is_a_pixel.jpg

Posted Image

klesh

klesh

Dr. Venkman

• Members
  • 423 posts

My latest adventures have included a rover to Eve, and a rover with descent probe for getting to the bottom of the Mohole on Moho.   I am currently building a big spacecruising mothership for the long trip to Jool and its 5 moons.  Landers, probes, satellites all tucked away in the cargo hold.  I am coming up with a few more things to put in there, and repacking it to fit as much as possible.

I usually build small for KSP, so this ship is a departure from my normal style.  I'm using some techniques like making it a puller design that should make it easier to handle.

http://imgur.com/a/7qOU8

• IRkorpus and kichilron are drunk enough to care

Posted Image

kichilron

kichilron

I banned tommy..

• Developer
  • 3859 posts
  • LocationPeter Enis

Steam Profile

a rover with descent probe for getting to the bottom of the Mohole on Moho.

That sounds rather NSFW.

KAfrlth.jpg

klesh

klesh

Dr. Venkman

• Members
  • 423 posts

That sounds rather NSFW.

I've probed at work.  It wasn't safe.  ;)

I think I've finished the giant mothership (as if anyone cares), so I made a rendezvous with my tiny space station, so I could collect the 5 or 6 kerbals on there. 

The final cargo manifest (if I dont change it again before leaving Kerbin) is 1 Vall Lander for 2 kerbals, 6 mini unpowered satellites, a lander for Pol, a lander for Bop, 2 full science probes and a mini rover for Laythe and room for 15 kerbals.

http://imgur.com/a/8tWYV

• IRkorpus and INSANIAC are drunk enough to care

Posted Image

kichilron

kichilron

I banned tommy..

• Developer
  • 3859 posts
  • LocationPeter Enis

Steam Profile

(as if anyone cares)

I do read all of your posts - knowing I'll never be on the same level of dedication.

KAfrlth.jpg

klesh

klesh

Dr. Venkman

• Members
  • 423 posts

I do read all of your posts - knowing I'll never be on the same level of dedication.

Thank you!  No one I know plays it or is particularly interested in what I do, so sometimes it feels like I'm talking to myself... which I do  quite a bit anyway.  :)

As an aside, when I listen to this track I think of you at this particular spot (20 seconds worth or so) 

https://youtu.be/ZFWiJAYmADQ?t=1m55s

"Vy do you look zat vey?"

• IRkorpus is drunk enough to care

Posted Image

IRkorpus

IRkorpus

Marcus The Merkin says "pass the fuckin rye already"

• Members
  • 764 posts
  • LocationMelburn or Melbin not Melborn! fucking foreigners...

Steam Profile

your a tripper klesh, of course we care what you have to say

Fate Amenable To Change

2vsm1ee.png

Vexilla regis prodeunt inferni

Wer Bier verschenkt wird aufgehängt

BigDog

BigDog

Grouchier every day.

• Members
  • 1140 posts
  • LocationScotland

I keep up with this thread even though I haven't played KSP in some time. Might reinstall and see what the changes are. The last time i played the only place you could go was Mun.
  • klesh and INSANIAC are drunk enough to care

INSANIAC

INSANIAC

'AV IT!

• Musty Server Musterator
  • 601 posts

• LocationEngland

Steam Profile

I keep up with this thread even though I haven't played KSP in some time. Might reinstall and see what the changes are. The last time i played the only place you could go was Mun.

A lot of things have changed since then. It's far more expansive and more difficult.

• klesh and BigDog are drunk enough to care

Posted Image

klesh

klesh

Dr. Venkman

• Members
  • 423 posts

Yo yo yo.  I am still playing KSP almost everyday.  Best $12 I ever spent!  Lately I've been playing with the Galileo's Planet Pack, which changes the solar system to have all new planets.   I'm sending manned missions to the moons around Gael, the home planet, and am well underway to some other planets with initial nuclear-thrust probes, for taking measurements so I know more about the places before I try to go there with astronauts.

Here is a shot of my first slapdash base on the moon Iota, I'm slowly learning the life support and other mods I've got installed.  Being able to land ships within meters of each other on a planet's surface is imperative here.

tJOAfzX.jpg

They recently announced a DLC, Making History, which will focus on recreations of Soviet and US historical missions and ships, and contain some kind of mission editor whereby you can create mission parameters and share them I suppose.     If you bought the game before April, 2013 you'll be getting this DLC for free.

So far we have been shown some early artwork for an Apollo style LEM, as well as some Saturn V and Soyuz rocket parts from the DLC.  This means it will also create 2 new part sizes in the game: 1.875m and 5m.  That of course can already be accomplished with a mod like Tweakscale, where you can make parts whatever size you want.

0.625m--1.25m--1.875m--2.5m--3.75m--5m

XhHKDrI.png

RFlIP2v.png

It remains to be seen what the price will be, but whatever it is its worth it to me.   Pretty much all of the DLC is already available in the form of mods, which the stingier members of the community have pointed out.  I'll buy it simply to support more KSP.  

KSP has also seen a release on consoles since this thread was last posted in.  Unfortunately its been an unmitigated disaster for Squad.  They chose some terrible mobile company called Flying Tiger to port the game, and the ported versions both on PS4 and Xbox1 are unplayable.  We're somewhere around 9 months after their release and only one small patch has been released, for Xbox only, and it failed to fix its specific intended problem.  Basically, your save files will get corrupted if you save too often, save too many ships in your hangars, do too much of this or that, rendering tens of hours of gameplay gone.  On top of this, the game wasn't even verified for sale in PS EU or Asia marketplaces, presumably because the QA there discovered all the bugs while QA for Sony US didn't.   Squad has since fired Flying Tiger developers and hired Blitzworks, a seemingly better company, to take over console porting, fix the disaster, and get things back on track.  This was announced mid-december 2016, and a patch was said to be ready for release "early 2017".  We're 1/4th into 2017 and no patch has been released yet.   The advertised WiiU version has been unceremoniously cancelled.

CommNet is now in the game, toggleable if you dont want to use it.  Its a communications network system that lets you set up antennae relays around the solar system so you can control probes and send science back to Kerbin etc.  Its a nice midpoint between the original design of any-antenna-works-fine-from-any-distance-at-all, and some of the popular and less forgiving mods on the subject.  Its more fun for the slightly advanced player though.  If you can't get into orbit yet, you don't care about elaborate geo-stationary satellite networks.  Once space is readily accessible to you, you'll dig having it.  In concert with CommNet is KerbNet which is a stock version of satellite planet scanning, for use in ore mining and fuel conversion, ISRU.  You now can scan planets and moons and find high ore concentration areas, land at them and drill for resources.  You can then convert the ore into various fuels to refuel your ship anywhere.  This means a properly designed ship has the potential for unlimited travel.

What I do is to send satellites to a polar orbit around a body, and scan to get an ore map.  You can mark on the map where a high concentration is, and a cool waypoint marker shows up.  You can land there and use a different scanning part (theres 3 types of scanners) to get a very accurate reading from the surface.  Land your drill ship there, and extract your ore.  Maybe you take it to an orbital station for conversion, maybe you land a conversion module and connect to your drill ship.  Maybe your ship is all-in-one and you drill and convert for yourself.  A higher ranked Engineer class kerbal means better efficiency with your drills and converters.  Don't forget to use radiators or your system will shut down due to overheating.  Lots has been adding to the game since this thread started.

Here is a surface scanning mini rover, which after determining the highest ore spot acts like a beacon for landing by my drill ship.  Drill ship drilling, filling the black tank with Ore.

kW6Y7pq.jpg

Since there is so little gravity at Minmus, I chose to have an orbital refinery. The drill ship flies up and rendezvous with the refinery, transfers its ore onboard the station, then goes down to land at the drill site again.  Rover stays on the ground marking the spot.

vrjOT9B.jpg

Now any other ship that needs to top off it's fuel tanks in space before leaving Kerbin simply has to dock to this station where a neverending fuel supply can be generated.  I keep the tanks full at all times.

Its been a strange ride the last years or two though.  There has also been a bunch of community weirdness as basically every developer has left the company.   Modders were hired as devs, one patch was released that fixed a TON of things, made a TON of improvements, KSP seemed to be entering a golden era late in its cycle... and then they all left too, very much shaking up the community and raising many questions.  KSP has always had a revolving door of developers, leading to a very ugly mishmash of art styles over the 5 years its been going.  The guy who originally invented KSP sort of bailed around the 1.0 launch, which itself was a bit of a botched rushjob (racing to be ready to shovel out console versions, which became a further disaster).    KSP went from years of alpha, and like 14-15 updates, to Beta, and out of nowhere to 1.0 in a matter of a few months. It was nowhere near ready for 1.0, and several point patches had to be released because major changes were inplemented in 1.0 (where stuff like that is for alpha and beta).   Basically, it was another weird shitshow.

All that aside, the game itself has never been smoother or more stable on pc.  Its 64-bit now, so you can mod to your hearts content and don't have to consider RAM limits.   The mod scene is as strong as ever and pretty much anything you can think you might want after playing a bit of the stock game, you'll be able to find in a mod.  I still think you need to put it on your wishlist and buy it when its on sale. Give it a good week or two while you watch tutorials.  Most rewarding game you'll ever play, hands down.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users