• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

klesh

klesh

Dr. Venkman

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • LocationAssholeachusetts

Been digging through the place. Tear outs done, professional cleaners have been through. hvac guys with cameras and brushes on bendy poles have been in. Place still smells like a housefire. All must stuff is pretty well ruined. Insurance not covering as much as initially imagined. Probably 90% of my shit is gone. I have thousands upon thousands of dollars of musical instruments that are not going to get replaced out of lack of fundage, threw a drumset away yesterday. That one hurt. So far we've filled a 20-yard dumpster and half of a 15-yarder. That'll get full in a couple days.

https://forums.dayzg...ur-instruments/
The yellow one was out of its case, and since it is semi-hollow, the inside reeks of smoke. Red one most likely to be salvaged. I have a sitar, bandura, dulcimer, saxophones, flutes, recorders and tons of gear. Its more a matter of do I need a bed more than I need a sitar in terms of replacement. I just wont have enough funds to replace both.

Highly reccomended that you go over the contents portion of your insurance policies (if you even have one), and make sure that value matches the amount it would cost for you to go out tomorrow any buy every_single_thing in your house over again. Renters, seriously, get renter's insurance. Especially if youre a kid in their 20's or whatever. An event like this can easily wipe out everything you've ever bought and earned and without rental insurance, youre simply fucked. You get nothing.

Fellas, I'm going to need help trying to put together a new computer setup. I have an A+ certification, but shit that was a few years ago, and I'm really not on point these days. I'm operating on an iPad right now, and it doesnt make it easy trying to navigate weird shopping cart slick interfaces on various sites. I don't really have a dollar amount I'm working with, its more coming out of the total of what I am getting. Less new towels for the bathroom and no dulcimer replacement means better computer.

Things I'm looking for:
Windows 10 (somewhere in the shitshow of my domicile is a legit Windows7Ultimate install disk, with free upgrade to 10, but it'll be months before I can find it if it already hasnt been thrown out)
i7 I guess, latest and greatest?
SSD for windows and maybe a fav game or two
Lots of top dog RAM
Some big fast HD. My last one was slow as fuck. 2-4TB maybe? My last one was getting full with on TB.
A cooling system? My computers have always been too hot.
Big graphics. Big. I had a 2gb card before. Maybe 6 or 8 nowadays?
I had a great powersupply before, a dude sold it to me at work, Fatal1ty or some stupid shit that lit up red. It was super modifiable and had plenty of watts. Some kind of new good one.
Maybe something physical in there for recording music... Or at least the space to expand for that later. I've never had a music setup before, so I have no parameters I'm looking for. Thats least important and i'll probably skip.

I want to be autodetected to Ultra for a few years, knowhatimsayin'?
  • tommy290, kichilron, TheWeinerKingOfDetroit and 1 other are drunk enough to care

Posted Image

TheWeinerKingOfDetroit

TheWeinerKingOfDetroit

how drunk am i atm?

• Members
  • 915 posts
  • LocationCut and Shoot, Texas

I have 4 512mb sticks and a Geforce 9500 gt you can have.  :/

Why am I not surprised by Klesh owning a sitar.

• klesh and Prime are drunk enough to care

Posted Image

klesh

klesh

Dr. Venkman

• Members
  • 423 posts

Heh, I was the official UMass music program sitar player for awhile there, years ago. Recorded that thing on a number of different people's projects. Its a whole lot of fun to play.

Understand the list I posted above isn't like a request for your guys' parts. I'm looking to build a new system. I will order it from newegg and have someone build it. I just dont know what things to buy.

Thanks for your offer Doc, but I should be able to put together a new machine in lieu of replacing other things. :)

At this point I am hoping to move back by 2016. Whether that happens is somewhat out of my control, the overall condo insurance is dragging their feet, and the whole arson aspect is complicating things.
  • TheWeinerKingOfDetroit is drunk enough to care

Posted Image

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• Musty Server Musterator
  • 3544 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

Let's see here. Is there any sort of budget? Some amount above which you simply can't justify?

Are you partial to AMD or Intel, or no preference? Partial to Nvidia or AMD graphics?

Any particular size for the PC (not everyone likes the giant towers, no matter how much awesome space they have)?

Is Cambridge a reasonable distance away (there's a Microcenter there)?

Is Amazon a viable vendor? 

• klesh and TheWeinerKingOfDetroit are drunk enough to care

BsVHjOO.png

klesh

klesh

Dr. Venkman

• Members
  • 423 posts

Let's see here. Is there any sort of budget? Some amount above which you simply can't justify?

I'd say somewhere around $1,500 or so-ish. Do't know yet if I need a new monitor or not too.

Are you partial to AMD or Intel, or no preference? Partial to Nvidia or AMD graphics?

I've had both, last rig was AMD/AMD but I dont care. I think Intel/nVidia is the preferred combo?

Any particular size for the PC (not everyone likes the giant towers, no matter how much awesome space they have)?

nah, I dont care about the size of the form factor at all. A preference in the regard would be the less space-lights, the better. I dont go for these light up models the kids have these days. Those things can get right off my lawn.

Is Cambridge a reasonable distance away (there's a Microcenter there)?

Yeah, its definitely reasonable. Is that place any good/ cheaper than these online joints?

Is Amazon a viable vendor?

Sure.

Well, i rightfully fucked up this post. Sorry, ipad makes it not fun. You can figure it out though, i believe in you.

Edited by tommy290, 19 November 2015 - 12:35 PM.
Unfucked it. :)

• Prime and Dice are drunk enough to care

Posted Image

CornProducts

CornProducts

Advanced Dismemberer

• Members
  • 774 posts
  • LocationUSA

https://forums.dayzg...ur-instruments/
The yellow one was out of its case, and since it is semi-hollow, the inside reeks of smoke. Red one most likely to be salvaged. I have a sitar, bandura, dulcimer, saxophones, flutes, recorders and tons of gear. Its more a matter of do I need a bed more than I need a sitar in terms of replacement. I just wont have enough funds to replace both.

When I read semi hollow body, and knowing you were a Jazz-Head, I said "Please God, don't be a link to an ES-335."

If I was a guitarist, that'd be my sought after instrument.

• klesh is drunk enough to care

Shoot and Scoot... Stick Together... No One Gets Left Behind...  -Legionarius-

Curious about the profile pic? The backstory is here http://www.thesneeze...ives/000344.php (not my blog)

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• 3544 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

Ok, let's start with this:

Spoiler

Couple notes:

Spoiler

I'm not a hardware expert, so others should certainly weigh in. This is just based off a media server I built, only adding in a GPU. Most of the other parts I own and haven't had any problems with. It's certainly not a budget build, but it should keep you gaming for awhile. 

EDIT: One more thing, there are some potential cost savings if you're willing to buy from other online retailers. PC Part Picker has more, but this list is based on limiting the retailers to Microcenter, Amazon, and Newegg. I think I've bought from a couple others before, but now I generally stick to those three just because I know they won't give me trouble for returns and such. I'm sure other places will do returns and are legit retailers, but I don't care about spending a few extra bucks for peace of mind. That's just me though, because I'm not good at haggling with customer service people.

• klesh and TheWeinerKingOfDetroit are drunk enough to care

BsVHjOO.png

TheWeinerKingOfDetroit

TheWeinerKingOfDetroit

how drunk am i atm?

• Members
  • 915 posts

SqYZscL.jpg

Thanks for your offer Doc, but I should be able to put together a new machine in lieu of replacing other things. :)

No, seriously, take them. The garbage man won't even take them.

• klesh, Rubberman and Prime are drunk enough to care

Posted Image

klesh

klesh

Dr. Venkman

• Members
  • 423 posts

Still stuck in the hotel. Condo association's insurance policy has not come to a decision as to a payout, so not one thing has been done to the place in terms of repairs and rebuilding. Probably going to be here a while. Its utter torture. There has been a family with multiple children staying in the room next to me and they scream at the top of their lungs constantly. Its just about midnight right now and this kid has been screaming since perhaps 8pm. Why anyone has a kid that sounds like theyre maybe 3 or 4 up that late is beyond me.
  • TheWeinerKingOfDetroit is drunk enough to care

Posted Image

Derpy

Derpy

Your just jealous of my Super Saiyan Swag!

• Musty Heroes
  • 742 posts
  • LocationRight here

Still stuck in the hotel. Condo association's insurance policy has not come to a decision as to a payout, so not one thing has been done to the place in terms of repairs and rebuilding. Probably going to be here a while. Its utter torture. There has been a family with multiple children staying in the room next to me and they scream at the top of their lungs constantly. Its just about midnight right now and this kid has been screaming since perhaps 8pm. Why anyone has a kid that sounds like theyre maybe 3 or 4 up that late is beyond me.

I'm not too good at DIY or fixing things but im sure i got some tablets kicking around my room that would help deal with those kids..

So sorry to hear of this Klesh,  yeah im like 400 years behind in finding out but man that's just beyond shit, Arson though i mean that is just scum like behaviour especially just before the festive season but i'm just glad you are alright, hope however was responsible is held to justice.

As much as i'm a stray bullet these days i'm here if you need help or anything at all, and those tablets for sparking those annoying kids are very very much on offer! 

Take care Kleshcord... 

TheWeinerKingOfDetroit

TheWeinerKingOfDetroit

how drunk am i atm?

• Members
  • 915 posts

Sooo.... party at Klesh's?

• klesh, Prime and Dice are drunk enough to care

Posted Image

CornProducts

CornProducts

Advanced Dismemberer

• Members
  • 774 posts
  • LocationUSA

Is insurance still footing the bill for your stay? You'd think it would be in there best interest to get you moving sooner rather than later. 

Shoot and Scoot... Stick Together... No One Gets Left Behind...  -Legionarius-

Curious about the profile pic? The backstory is here http://www.thesneeze...ives/000344.php (not my blog)

Dice

Dice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 507 posts

From the ashes she rises. The phoenix.

Hope everything works out for you dude. Sometimes things like these bring out forced change for the good.

F#ck insurance companies though, legitimate hustlers, nothing more. 

TJP

The beginning already began and ended. The ending already ended and began again. The Middle Way is near if you’re beginning to see how all things are connected; it’s already here if you’re on the path and you understand that the journey’s the thing.

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• 3544 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

F#ck insurance companies though, legitimate hustlers, nothing more. 

Nah, most of the big ones are just normal companies looking to turn a profit. A lot of times it just depends on the particular person you happen to talk to. A year or two ago we had a ridiculous rain storm that ended up causing basement floods for a ton of people, myself included. My in-laws happen to use the same insurance company we do for homeowner's, and we both had to make claims. Mine was approved on the spot with virtually no proof of loss required, but they had to jump through hoops. It all came down to how helpful the person on the other end of the phone line wanted to be. 

BsVHjOO.png

TheWeinerKingOfDetroit

TheWeinerKingOfDetroit

how drunk am i atm?

• Members
  • 915 posts

Klesh can move in with me if he doesn't mind paying the rent, buying the booze, and is okay with waking up to the sounds of my night terror screams.

• klesh and wooly-back-jack are drunk enough to care

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Klesh, Klehs, Klesherino

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users