• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

klesh

klesh

Dr. Venkman

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • LocationAssholeachusetts

I kinda want the game just to build a city. Looks like you can do some neat stuff with electricity and such.

Have you changed your game hoarding ways Tommy?  You dont have this one yet?

I really enjoyed the building aspect.  I spent alot of time in Skyrim learning the creation engine tool to make a few player homes etc, but you had to sort of imagine how they came to be.  Hearthfire was cool at the time, gave you some choices in what could be built, but it was really more of unlocking pre-built configurations.   Everyone loves to laugh at Todd Howard for some reason, and they jumped on how he described settlement building in FO4 as "It just works", but it really just does.  I bought the dlc's that gave you a bunch more items to build with, though there are a few mods that unlock more and arguably better items.  A combo of DLC and mods is best.

The electrical aspect is nuts.  You'll need the contraptions DLC, because that comes with Logic Gates.  Now, you have to be some newfangled programmer or some shit for you to natively understand them, but a pipefull of herb and some determination helps as well.  They have 6 or 9 types, that represent "logic" i guess, as described on wikipedia (this wasn't a thing when I went to school I guess).  Stuff like, this door, when turned on, will also turn on these lights only if door on the other end does not have power.  You can rig up things as elaborately as you care to.

Here is an example of the cool videos Oxhorn does.  Check out in depth things are that you probably just blazed right past.  Slight Institute spoilers in here:

For me, I did something like this at a specific walled settlement that acts like a fort of sorts.  2 entrances, doors held open by electricity.  When I pull a panic level in the center of the fort, the 2 outside wall doors automatically close because power is cut to them, then a siren plays which stops all the people in the settlement from doing whatever they are doing and puts them into defend mode, and lastly a firework mortar will shoot a flare into the air over the fort, calling reinforcements into the fray.   You could for instance also add a ring of spotlights at the top of the walls that would turn on when you pull the panic lever or somesuch.

The sky is the limit as to what you can think up.  You can get very clever if you want.

Many diehard fallout people don't want to "play house" as many have described the settlements, but I think they fit right in with the idea of rebuilding the world.

Posted Image

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• Musty Server Musterator
  • 3544 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

Nah, I haven't played a game in quite awhile. Just don't have the time with the kids in sports and such. Maybe during the summer it'll slow down a bit and I can grab this. 

When you build a settlement, are there any dangers? Does it offer actual protection from stuff? That would be pretty cool.

• klesh is drunk enough to care

BsVHjOO.png

klesh

klesh

Dr. Venkman

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • LocationAssholeachusetts

When you build a settlement, are there any dangers? Does it offer actual protection from stuff? That would be pretty cool.

There is a defense rating for each settlement you build.  You can place turrets and guard posts and tell your settlers to man them, upping the defense rating.  You can full yencircle your settlements with walls and gates and traps and all manner of goodies.  

Your settlements do get attacked, though the threat is somewhat lame.  Things (power generators, food supplies, water pumps) can be damaged by the AI attacks requiring you to repair them later to restore functionality, but your settlers can't be killed by them (they can be killed by friendly fire).  There are calculations done that determine when these attacks happen, your defense rating and other elements play a part.   They can be annoying, in that you'll be running around the map and you'll get a popup telling you so and so settlement is under attack.  You can choose to fastravel there and play a part in the defense, or you can roll the dice and see if your settlement will defend itself.  If it suffers from the attack, you'll have to repair stuff when you go there next.

Sometimes you'll be just chilling in a settlement and an attack will happen.  You'll hear distant gunfire and go over to investigate.  There are a variety of enemies that will do these attacks, sometimes based on your faction statuses in the game.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users