hype nvidia gtx 1080 take my money

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Target Practice

Target Practice

Haha, 'member'.

• Musty Server Musterator
  • 602 posts

Think this will be the one that replaces my creaking GTX 670.

I only play on 1080p, but I'm looking at moving to VR in the next 12-18 months, and the early indicators are that the 1080 is knocking the pants off everything else as far as VR is concerned.

Question for the more tech-minded amongst us - the i7-3770 processor I'm currently packing, is that likely to bottleneck the system in the near future? I'm fairly sure it's okay (ARMA is the only game that hates it, and that's... well, ARMA), and it looks like CPUs aren't as much of an arms race as the GPU scene, but I'm kind of torn between spending £400 on the 1080 and upgrading bits and pieces as I go (which I'm wary of, as the last system I built literally caught fire), or just saying 'ah, fuck it' and getting a new, top-end system for around £1200.

baker

baker

I wub amber

• Admustystrator
  • 1411 posts

• LocationNorth of all of you, even chef.

Steam Profile

the i7-3770 processor I'm currently packing, is that likely to bottleneck the system in the near future?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I had this dream where I relished the fray
And the screaming filled my head all day
It was as though I'd been spit here
Settled in, into the pocket
Of a lighthouse on some rocky socket
Off the coast of France, dear
One afternoon four thousand men died in the water here
And five hundred more were thrashing madly
As parasites might in your blood
Now I was in a lifeboat designed for ten and ten only
Anything that systematic would get you hated
It's not a deal nor a test nor a love of something fated

Target Practice

Target Practice

Haha, 'member'.

• 602 posts

Sweet, that's good news - looks like it's held up pretty well!

Worth noting I'm just running it at stock though.

kichilron

kichilron

I banned tommy..

• Developer
  • 3859 posts
  • LocationPeter Enis

Steam Profile

Mines letting me get eye surgery so I can see how dusty my balls are.

Well, atleast you have that.

• BigDog and Bigchef are drunk enough to care

KAfrlth.jpg

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• 3544 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

Reddit composite list of various review sites: https://www.reddit.c...f_review_sites/

I only read a couple, but it appears the hype around the 1080 is justified. This thing is a beast. I can't wait to get my hands on one. Unfortunately, looks like I'll have to wait until June/July. From what I understand, the "Founder's Edition" from Nvidia is the only one being released in May with a cooling solution. Cards from other manufacturers won't release until later. Going by past releases, other manufacturers will release better cards than what Nvidia does, so it's better to wait I think. I can live without the upgrade for a couple months if need be. :)

BsVHjOO.png

Dead Meat

Dead Meat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 176 posts

• LocationIreland

Steam Profile

Spoiler

"You play ball with me and I'll scratch yours."

"Versatility is his speciality" - Arthur Daley

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• 3544 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

Don't care. I'll save a little on my heating bills. :D

Aren't these supposed to come out tomorrow or something? 

BsVHjOO.png

Dead Meat

Dead Meat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 176 posts

• LocationIreland

Steam Profile

Don't care. I'll save a little on my heating bills. :D

Aren't these supposed to come out tomorrow or something? 

NVidia's boards are out tomorrow but other manufacturers will have theirs out not long after.  Expect to see MSI, Gigabyte and the rest showing off their cards at Computex next week. The thing about 3rd party cards is they'll be venting that heat into the case. So, does your case have enough fans to move the hot air out and thus heat your house for you?

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• 3544 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

Yup, got plenty of fans and space to add more if need be. :) I need to check the GPUs I have right now and see what brand I've got. I think they might be Gigabyte. I'll probably stick with the same since the current ones haven't given me any trouble. They need to hurry up and release 'em. Think I might pick up this monitor at the same time I get the new card. I know I said earlier I would wait, but now I think I'll just give my wife a wad of cash and tell her to go blow it on whatever she wants. I'll pretend I screwed up the budget for the month and we have extra money to split... I just won't say it's an even split... 

How am I still married???

• BigDog and kichilron are drunk enough to care

BsVHjOO.png

Dead Meat

Dead Meat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 176 posts

• LocationIreland

Steam Profile

... Think I might pick up this monitor at the same time I get the new card...

So the first benchmarks for the GTX1070 are in and it looks like a good contender for a 1440p monitor. Although those results are coming from computex not from in house testing.

Also AMD have announced that the RX480 will be hitting the shops at $199 (end of this month). They claim that 2 of those will outperform a GTX1080. Time will tell. Lots of talk about VR. Not much said about single card desktop gaming performance except for ID saying that it will run DOOM nicely, though they didn't say at what resolution.

• TheWeinerKingOfDetroit is drunk enough to care

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• 3544 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

The price of the RX480 is definitely nice, but I hate the idea of SLI/Crossfire. It seems like there are always problems with games when you have more than one GPU. I'd rather spend more money and not worry about it. Although, I'm guessing the stock of 1080s is going to be low for awhile so benchmarks will probably be out before I have a chance to pick one up. I'll have to see how everything does on regular games. I think VR is interesting, but realistically it's not something I'm going to be doing. 

• kichilron and TheWeinerKingOfDetroit are drunk enough to care

BsVHjOO.png

wooly-back-jack

wooly-back-jack

Wooly the Camper™

• 885 posts

• LocationWigan, England, UK

Steam Profile

. I think VR is interesting, but realistically it's not something I'm going to be doing til it hits Redtube.

fixed

• tommy290 is drunk enough to care

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• 3544 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

fixed

Gonna have to invent some kind of program that warns the user when someone is coming downstairs: "PULL YOUR PANTS UP! YOU'RE ABOUT TO SCAR YOUR CHILDREN FOR LIFE!"

Either that or rent an apartment the family doesn't know about...

• kichilron and wooly-back-jack are drunk enough to care

BsVHjOO.png

wooly-back-jack

wooly-back-jack

Wooly the Camper™

• 885 posts

• LocationWigan, England, UK

Steam Profile

won't need to fork out for no wallpaper paste

• kichilron and TheWeinerKingOfDetroit are drunk enough to care

TheWeinerKingOfDetroit

TheWeinerKingOfDetroit

how drunk am i atm?

• Members
  • 915 posts
  • LocationCut and Shoot, Texas

So the first benchmarks for the GTX1070 are in and it looks like a good contender for a 1440p monitor. Although those results are coming from computex not from in house testing.

Also AMD have announced that the RX480 will be hitting the shops at $199 (end of this month). They claim that 2 of those will outperform a GTX1080. Time will tell. Lots of talk about VR. Not much said about single card desktop gaming performance except for ID saying that it will run DOOM nicely, though they didn't say at what resolution.

Fuck. I was considering grabbing an 1070, 8 more gigs of mem, and another ssd, and then another 1070 later but for that price... so confused.

These cheaper cards are really bringing VR to the front but I literally do not have the space near my computer to "VR" the games i've seen.

I'd literally have to change the layout of my place to do that. I'm talking where my bed is, where my pc sits, my desk, monitors, etc.. to play some silly VR games that have not 100% sold me on it. The price point of entry is dropping quick though so who knows.
  • kichilron is drunk enough to care

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users