Want to play an Arma3 mod like old style Dayz? Desolation

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Dice

Dice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 504 posts

To be honest, I think that's going to be the major obstacle. I don't know if we have the manpower to efficiently admin a server, let alone the desire. 

How would we solve this then? I'm guessing if there are enough people chipping in, we could have some compensation for the tasks at hand? I for one would be willing to pay something monthly to be able to play on a server that is ''just right'' instead of ''good enough''.

It seems that none of the servers have it all, some come close, but nothing really gives that old-school dayz-feel. I think that certain mods, or the combination of these mods will make all the difference.

Advanced Rappelling? Yes Please. (I dont even want to play if I cant rapell from a roof)

Advanced Movement? Yes Please. (jumping on top of a shack to kill of a few zeds should be possible)

Tanoa? Yes Please. (it seems like the one map that tends to most needs)

Exile is probaly the main mod to go with, since Desolation Redux is dead. We'de have to dress it down though imo. Ive played the 0.2 version of Desolation and as far as I can tell it works pretty friggin good. As long as you dont play it on Chernarus, they've killed that map by opening buildings that will kill your immersion as soon as you notice you don't fit through the door and the inside floor is just soil with some strange furniture displayed inside.

I've also been looking at this ''Wilderniss'' mod, I'm not totally sure what it does and how available it is, but it might be good.

Anyways, I'm keen on getting this going. Let's talk solutions and possibilities.

The beginning already began and ended. The ending already ended and began again. The Middle Way is near if you’re beginning to see how all things are connected; it’s already here if you’re on the path and you understand that the journey’s the thing.

8bit

8bit

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationTennessee

If the goal is to bring back an expanded but more classic DayZ I also have a few ideas. I would also like to say that I would be willing to help with administration if needed. I would love to see a server up in the spirit of DayZ that included some of the exile things, but am curious as to what you guys actually want shoot for before i make any more suggestions.

I like what Dice has said about Exile and the Chernarus Redux map, and agree with Tanoa.

As far as Exile and traders, i would love to see the traders scaled down so that you can't just go and buy everything you need. I have thought before about making it more of something where you could sell anything but only be able to buy basic to mid tier supplies. I believe high value military loot should be left to looting if you wish to obtain it. I think what I imagine when i think of a trader in an apocalypse is more along the lines of traders in fallout. They buy your stuff so they can go sell it to someone else, and generally they don't carry around bad ass level equipment. 

I also think that vehicles should work more along the lines of Wasteland. with the random spawning around cities but the unclaimed and unsaved ones disappearing at restart and being replaced with a new batch. Although I think you should be able to buy the basic pick ups and sedans at a trader who is selling them. These purchasable vehicles should be the only ones with locks available, so that if you take that Hummer you found out to loot you better have someone watch it so it doesn't just get stolen. I believe this lends to the "you can lose everything in an instant" nature of DayZ.

As far as bases go, I'm in favor of removing or limiting the safe. As this is the only item that is next to impossible to access. I also think everything should be craft-able when it comes to your base and that if flags are used we should get rid of the ransom mechanic and the pop up you get when you come in range of someones flag. All these base names make the world feel full rather than the emptiness I personally associate with wandering around the landscape. the last thing I would suggest for bases is to remove the perimeter upgrades after level 2 and instead simply upgrade the number of items inside. You shouldn't be able to stockpile 15 vehicles inside of a fortress.

Obviously these ideas aren't perfect or complete, but I wanted to keep from writing a book on the matter while still getting some specifics out there. Let me know what you guys think, and if I'm in line with the common opinion here.

Many of you don't know me but I have played with Dice and others for awhile, and I've known Baker since he ran a server form a rig under his desk.

• Dice is drunk enough to care

Dice

Dice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 504 posts

I've never met this man in my life. :lol:

The beginning already began and ended. The ending already ended and began again. The Middle Way is near if you’re beginning to see how all things are connected; it’s already here if you’re on the path and you understand that the journey’s the thing.

Dice

Dice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 504 posts

All kidding aside, we should try n get this working!

Dice

Dice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 504 posts

I spoke to some guys from e83 Gaming and they are in the process of setting up what we are talking about here, perhaps we can do a little collaboration?

• baker is drunk enough to care

tommy290

tommy290

I have a question.

• Musty Server Musterator
  • 3543 posts

• LocationMichigan

Steam Profile

Collaboration might be the best way to go. 

BsVHjOO.png

wooly-back-jack

wooly-back-jack

Wooly the Camper™

• 881 posts

• LocationWigan, England, UK

Steam Profile

I streamed our game on Sunday :)

wooly-back-jack

wooly-back-jack

Wooly the Camper™

• 881 posts

Steam Profile

currently downloading breaking point to give it another whirl

Star

Star

"Nothing Is Beyond Our Reach" - Octopus

• Admustystrator
  • 1559 posts

Steam Profile

• Star - In Game
    Total War™: WARHAMMER®
    17 hrs last 2 weeks.
    Add Friend

its a shame desolation never got the playerbase, but i guess it was designed for a 2012 era player base

For Arma3, I've gotten back into exile, playing on cherno with the script that changes all buildings to A3 style, been a bunch of fun running around with a group of players, reminds me of the old days 

it's definitely a lot of fun going around in a blackfoot, being eyes with radar and having a team in a HMG strider in the back of the plane you can eject/parashoot out and chase down players once seen on radar

• Prime is drunk enough to care

Check out http://www.avasdemon.com/for an amazing Visual Story

Prime

Prime

Definitely not Prime

• Members
  • 795 posts

• LocationNew Jersey (Murica)

Steam Profile

it's definitely a lot of fun 

Put me in coach...I want to play

Also...the disabling of gif posting is why Trump is president.

• Star, tommy290 and wooly-back-jack are drunk enough to care

MtwHh9C.jpg

You should never be out of whiskey. ~ tommy290

wooly-back-jack

wooly-back-jack

Wooly the Camper™

• 881 posts

Steam Profile

breaking point ftw, and yes they still update it.

You don't need that BP launcher anymore it's on steam workshop. Get it downloaded for weekend lads ploxktnx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users